A Story of Martha and Mary, One-Act Chancel Opera, Based on Luke 10:38-42
Libretto written by Marilyn Biery, ASCAP
“The Better Part: A Story of Martha and Mary” is Marilyn and James Biery’s second chancel opera.
“The Better Part” is a musical portrayal of Jesus’ visit to the home of Martha and Mary. It’s a message for everyone: finding the balance between doing good work and taking time to listen to the voice of God. The production brings the story into the present day and includes humor, emotion, and inspiration.
What is needed:
- Three Solo Singer/Actors (Soprano, Mezzo-soprano, and Tenor), and few additional singer/actors
- SATB Chorus
- Chamber orchestra of Oboe, Trumpet, Strings, Piano, and Percussion (reduced accompaniment upon request)
- No costumes required; minimal props
- Performance time is 30 minutes; designed to be performed during a church service
- The congregation participates in singing the final hymn-like chorus
The music makes modest demands on the singers and can be prepared in a few rehearsals. Likewise, the instrumental parts can be performed by either professional or talented amateur players.